Sunday, 16 August 2026

Tools out for the Lads

As per routine - I checked the Alpine for drips (front and rear) and found none. So we were good to go. We were parked next to John's much traveled Tiger which looked good.

Again went in slow convoy with the Rapier stopping for a quick brake at Newmarket Services. When we parked up Chris asked that the red flashing light on the dash was ! It looked like an after market alarm - odd. He's had the car several years and it's never come on. Anyway, after we all had a (comfort) break we set off again - rather we didn't.

Chris's car wouldn't start. Was it too much fuel, flooded or what was going on here. That little light kept flashing and we all wondered what it was. I decided to whip the plugs out, but as Chris did not have a set a socket set with a plug spanner I got mine out of the boot.

I took a couple of plugs out and they were clean as a whistle - not damp - and actually in better shape than mine. We then tested a couple of plugs for spark and there was none. We were in a bit of a quandary at that point but everything pointed to the new flashing light and therefore the Alarm. Chris suggested we disconnected the battery for a while and try again - an interesting thought - which as it turned out worked. 

Off we went again and about 20 minutes later Chris' hazard lights came on - but he does not have any - so we concluded it was his alarm again.

Eventually we left Chris (and Norman) to to turn off and we headed home - to arrive Hot when we got back and I'm sure there was something rattling that I hadn't heard before in the engine bay but there we go. Can you spot it ?

The speedo said we've done about 74 miles but I think it's about 80 which just shows you the inaccuracy of the speedo. 

So another event completed in the Alpine - the car we don't use for long journeys ! It can rest a bit now and I'll fettle it next week before the RGEA meeting and then Woolverstone.

Finally a SAAB run to Stutton for jobs to round off the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment