Monday, 3 August 2026

Guessing Right

I did the obligatory check first thing - almost no water used - but I topped it up anyway. I looked at the 30/98 again, it really was packed to the gunwales - or even over them.

I made the two swings - at the top and the bottom of the car park this time - so we were off just after 9:00. We filled up with petrol immediately, just over 42 litres but I did brim the tank.

Then we headed for the Fosse Way, which was a good road and not completely beset with roundabouts. TAS enjoyed cruising at around 50 mph for an hour until we picked up the M6 and almost immediately the A14.

As expected, it was very busy with lories and more traffic than Saturday but we bustled along. I did get cut up a couple of times and had to judge the on/off ramps carefully but I was feeling confident, so we pushed on past Kettering and onto the new services at Cambridge just a smidge over 100 miles in the one jump.


The services were also very busy and Jana had to hold up the traffic for me to get out as we left, but generally the Talbot had approving comments and looks.

From Cambridge services to home we were on home ground so I mixed it with the faster Lorries and picked up the pace to 65 or even 70 mph for short stretches.

Again one thing that concerned me was the 'knocking' at about 55-60 accelerating under load which sounded like tappets or valves - I'll have a look at what it might be - that went away about 60+ mph and did not seem to reappear.

We guessed right and came into the village the long way so got past the road closed section and into our drive (over the drawbridge) with no issues. 

We were home by 2:00 pm - so five hours this run. It was a 'cool' 82 degrees by then so it's been a hot day for the car. Mind you it's been a hot drive for us too.

So that was 180 miles done today and just shy of 400 over he weekend. Everything seemed fine ... ish.

The final check when everything had cooled down showed very little water used - a splash - and no discernable oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment