Monday, 10 August 2026

Chasing Rattles and (now) Drips

I started on the Alpine in the morning, gave it a hoover and a bit of a tidy but it is only Monday and we're not leaving until Friday so I'm not too sure about a wash yet.

I loaded the spares including the two high viz jackets again - hopefully we will never need them. I then started to chase down the rattles under the dashboard. First I spotted the bonnet release catch spring was really loose so I put a grommet and tape on that and secondly I noticed the trip adjustment had also come loose so that got a title tighten.


That done I headed off to fill up with petrol. So the result is ... the rattle is still there. Faffing around filling the two spare cans I also forgot to put the petrol cap back on - but luckily a builder in his van spotted it and tapped me on the shoulder: 'Wouldn't want to damage that really expensive paintwork' or something to that effect he said.

Home again I spent time chasing more rattles - first the handbrake mechanism. I added another washer and tape behind any area that could rattle - plus sprayed the whole lot with grease.


Next I put tape on the soft top bin bolt, did it up tighter and pushed it under the rubber edge. Seemed to work. So that was that for now. However later when checking which suitcases fitted I spotted this.


It's bloody petrol leaking from the tank again - but a different place this time. That better get fixed tomorrow first thing.

To console myself the E-type got a run. Dusty though it is.


A Rose between two Thorns I thought. A bit harsh on the SAAB perhaps ...

No comments:

Post a Comment