Sunday, 2 August 2026

Not even the Oldest There

Having checked it last night I decided to top up the radiator. It took just less than half a pint of water - which I thought was fine. I looked again and thought just how badly I had parked last night.

I checked the oil too which was higher than yesterday when we set off - but then we were on a slope. I then finished off by cleaning the windscreen - badly. The route out of the car park was tight and I needed a three point turn on the slope to make it. That was hard but off we went, only to find the road we were going to take was closed.

So it was the long run again - only to find that the road has just been resurfaced - but we had no choice really by then. Now I know Suffolk is considered flat but we went up several 300 meter hills - and down again. On the up up up stages the temperature also went up predictably, but interestingly on the 'down' slopes the temperature went down too - sometimes a lot.

Eventually we picked up the route and as two more vintage cars fell in behind us we thought we'd be fine. In fact there was no queue - nor ticked office - so we sailed in and parked at the back of the Talbots.

The day was long and hot. Punctuated by a few Talbots on the hill that conspired to go out of their way to appear when I had my camera inaccessible - trying to avoid me photographing them.

We chatted to Harry of Lavinia fame at lunch time but generally the club felt less approachable. Odd.

Eventually even I had had enough and I discovered we were almost the last to leave after waiting for John Polson's final run in his single seater which I basically missed shooting properly so this is an earlier shot.

Anyway, we set off home - only to be defeated by the bloody satnav. Turning round and retracing our steps saw us back at Blockley eventually (we took an hour to do 25 miles) and as Jana guided us in and up the slope, I squeezed in on the lower level between two badly parked cars - was that Karma ?

Sitting in the restaurant however another vintage car (towing a small trailer) shot up the track to the car park - followed by his wife on foot. He did not look happy. It turned out to be a well used 1923 30/98 - the opposite end of the spectrum to John's.

It was dirty, battered and packed with gear. It looked great though. I made my introduction after supper and he had said he has had the car for 20+ years and I suspected had grown up with vintage cars.

No comments:

Post a Comment