Saturday, 5 September 2026

Tiger Taxi Man

So against all odds it looks like the Tiger is getting released. A after a successful test drive yesterday Ron - the wizard mechanic - has fixed the carbs and declared the car fit for the show. 

So my first job is to shuffle around my cars, move the Imp across a little bit and then get ready to bring the tiger back. That done I took the very dirty MK2 Golf up to Glevering early o the morning to start the process.

The first job however was getting the Rapier out and going off to fill with petrol - I drove back and it is really running well.

Then we went to see the Wizard who had just arrived. To be honest he was a bit shocked that the car was actually leaving his workshop and I felt he did not want to let it out. I'm not sure the car wanted to leave either as it was very hard to start and then kept stalling as it was slowly backed out into the open.

I then got my first ride in it since all the work. So how was a 4.7 liter V8 Beast ? Absolutely terrible. It stalled on a couple of occasions, it ran really rough for most of the time and seemed to resent being in the daylight. Did I really want to attempt the run myself after this ?

Back at the garage it was my time to take it on. I stalled once and then managed to get it around to the back of the Hall for a photo. I took all the crap out of it first and re-set the door handle. Then we lined up both cars for a picture with a beaming Chris - at last the Tiger was back.

So all I had to do next was to drive it 22 odd miles back home. I started the car (still a bit rough) and set of gingerly across the lawn with Chris filming me.


I stopped after a few 100 yards as the car felt as if the brakes were on a bit.


Which indeed they were - yep the brake lights are on again - so the problem that the car went into the garage for two years ago is still there. Disappointing - but I can drive though that.

The run back home was terrible really. The car needed revving hard to keep it running coming up to the first junction (a nasty hill start admittedly) and there was a total flat spot just past tick over - so it was very much on/off with the power. On the A12 it felt a little better but was not running smoothly - I kept it down to around 2000 rpm, but that's 60 mph for he Tiger so we were fine.

Until we hit the Melton roundabout. As I slowed down the tick over dropped dramatically and the brakes stayed on so I had to rev it harder as well as find a way to stop - heal and toe is not my forte - so we stalled. At least that release the servo pressure and luckily it started again.

So the key for the rest of the run was to try not to use the brakes as once on they were not coming off. Of course the last few miles are the worst as it is all roundabouts and junctions but we made it. It felt like an age but in reality only about 40 minutes had gone by.

I lifted the bonnet to let it cool and staggered in to the house for some lunch.

I had decided to clean it as it was quite dirty - and ended up scraping the mud out of the gutters inside and out where the dust has set after the first wash. However with a layer of polish after that it came up well - although there are several scrapes and paint blemishes to attend to now.

However it looked good on the drive and was presentable now for the show. I packed it away next to the Imp and got ready to go out again.

That involved a MK7 ride and then drive home- with the people we met asking what the new sports car on the drive was !

No comments:

Post a Comment